BS 5234 defines four strength or duty claims
- Light (LD): suitable where possibility of damage is small
- Medium (MD): for use e.g. General office areas
- Heavy (HD): for use e.g. Public circulation areas
- Severe (SD): for use e.g. Areas prone to high traffic
Annexes A-F with BS 5234 include:
- Partition stiffness
- Resistance to damage from small hard body impact
- Resistance to damage from large soft body impact
- Resistance to perforation from a small hard body impact
- Resistance to structural damage from a large soft body impact
- Resistance to damage from door slam tests
Relevant tests must satisfy all six components.
Within the system performance charts in the Speedline Drywall Manual, you will find the classification of the strength of the partition under the column heading Duty Grade BS 5234.